Friday, October 23, 2009

Friday's Designer Tip

Making your own buttons. 

This is so simple and the result is sooo cute. 
First you need to get yourself some clear buttons. 


I used buttons from Stampin Up! here but I know 7 Gypsies also makes these in the same round and square design.  You are also going to need a glue that will dry clear.  I like this glue for three reasons.  1. It dries quickly 2. It dries clear 3. I like the two applicators.  It has a fine tip and a broad tip.  The broad tip allows you to get a really thin coat and that is just what you want here.  The thinner the better.



Pick out some cute paper and place button down. For all of these buttons I used K. & Co.'s Black and Ivory Fusion


Now wait for this to dry (or at least mostly dry)


Trim off the extra


And if you didn't wait for it to completely dry before you need to now.  I start by poking a hole from the front with a pin.  Then I recommend flipping the button over and putting the pin back through those holes and wiggling the pin around until you have holes big enough for ribbon to go thru. 


Here they are done.  They look equally as cute without the ribbon. 
Hope you enjoyed.  And here is a card I made using one of these buttons, it was for a tent topper challenge on Scrapbook.com


I used paper from Basic Grey's Eskimo Kisses collection pack, Stampin Up! stamp set, ribbon, and clear button.  For the trees I used Versa Magic Chalk ink (becuase these were rubber stamps that ink works well here) and then added stickles silver glitter and perfect pearls in silver on top. 

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to try this with buttons but have been unable to find clear ones. Thanks for the pointer with Stampin' Up buttons. The final look is just beautiful! And of course, I'm very partial to the tent-topper card! : ) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete